I just finished reading the new “Gathering Storm I – Fall of Cadia” and I must say that it is quite the read. It is full of interesting stories, sub-stories. But what is more important it is the most major Warhammer 40K story line push I’ve seen since I’ve started playing this game.
TLDR; for the story (SPOILERS):
- Cadia (and it’s pylons) has fallen (mostly destroyed). With that the Eye of Terror is growing un-stopped.
- Kell is dead and Creed is inside a Trazyn Tesseract.
- Saint Selestine, Belisarius Cawl (Archimagos Dominus), Inquisitor Greyfax (an inquisitor from another age previously captured by Trazyn) and Marshal Marius Amalrich (Black Templars) are fleeing on Belisarius Cawl’s ship.
- Belisarius Cawl has some artifact hidden in his stasis hold. When Abaddon finds out what that is he gets angry and orders the Black Legion to follow.
- Eldar (Dark + Craftworld + unknown – probably exodite) help ‘our heroes’ escape into the web way offering an alliance and talking about new beginnings.
So… something big is happening with the Eldar. It sounds like the new 8th edition will have an Age of Sigmar like main factions (Good guys, Chaos guys, other guys).
‘Gathering Storm II’ will probably be Eldar concentrated. In the interwebs they say Asuramen + Eldrad + Vect but I think that one of the new guys will be some exodite or maybe the former missing Striking Scorpion Exarch (Arhra)
Probably it will be the model that has this base with the Gyrinx… though the cat I think is more suitable for some kind of psyker:
About the new models:
Celestine seems AMAZING. I don’t know what her profile was before but she seems to be able to pull a punch and get back from the dead once (LD test). And has two helpers that have 2 wounds, always get the wounds before Celestine AND if killed return (one by one) at the start of the turn. How do you kill that?
Belisarius Cawl is a monster (W5) that can heal d3 wounds each turn. Ouch. Probably the most preferred Ad Mech HQ in the foreseeable future.
Inquisitor Greyfax is cool but did not see anything special with her. Have to look closer.
Something interesting is it seems you can play all three of these characters in almost any kind of list from Armies of the Imperium. I am not sure I am reading this right but it seems you can take Celestine in a Space Marine Combined Arms Detachment (CAD) or Astra Militarum one… which is crazy.
There are three Formations and two Detachments in the book. The first formation is the three heroes. The second is some Belisarius Cawl Cult Mechanicus formation and the third is a Celestine + Black Templars + Militarum Tempestus formation.
The first Detachment (Grand Convocation Detachment) represents Belisarius Cawl’s forces and is mainly comprised of Cult Mechanicus, Skitarii and Imperial Knights.
The second Detachment (Castellans of the Imperium Detachment) is a BIG one and it seems to me you can take everything from codex Space Marines, Adepta Sororitas, Astra Militarum, Imperial Agents and Imperial Knights (plus other similar codices). So if you want to mesh all the armies of the Imperium in one Detachment – here you go.
In conclusion: Even if you already know the story I sincerely think this is a good read. I had fun and maybe you will too so give it a try.